Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Kitty Tutu

My 2 year old wants to be a cat for Halloween. My 7 year old is going to be a bride. And I KNOW that as soon as my 2 year old sees the big puffy dress the 7 year old gets to wear she is going to want a "Pwincess" dress to. So to avoid a tantrum I decided to make her a kitty tutu. This would be my first attempt at a tutu and off to Joann's we went. 

Here is what I bought...

  • elastic band
  • glitter tulle  1/2 a yard in black, 1/2 a yard in grey and 1/2 a yard in white (The plain tulle is much cheaper I later learned) 
  • ribbon (optional)



1. Measure the elastic band around your kids waist. I gave myself about an inch extra for sewing.
2. Sew the band together. (I have even seen people just tie it together)


3. Cute the tulle in strips. My kid is pretty small and I wanted a puffy skirt so I cut 17 inch strips about 1.5 inches wide.

4. Then take your strips and attach them to the elastic band using the Lark's head knot. If you are not a girl scout here is how to make the knot. Oh and I found it easier to put the band around my knees to keep it tight and easy to tie tulle to.


5. Go all the way around. I alternated the colors.
7. If you want tie a bow to the front or side.


I already tried in on my 2 year old. She loved it and then threw a fit when it was time to take it off. So much for avoiding a tantrum.

No comments: